Pregnancy Back Pain
Back pain affects 76% of women at some time during pregnancy, often beginning in the first trimester and increasing over time.
There are two main causes for back pain during pregnancy:
1. The body’s center of gravity shifts forward with the weight of the embryo/fetus, causing an unhealthy and excessive anterior pelvic tilt (pelvis tilts forward more than it should), lumbar lordosis (low back curvature becomes exaggerated), and potential compression of nerve roots. As the spine misshapes, pain tends to increase.
2. Women’s bodies make a hormone called relaxin that allows the ligaments of the pelvis to relax, and the joints to become looser in preparation for childbirth. While this is a normal, natural process, instability of the sacroiliac joints is a common side effect.
Exercises that promote a neutral spine position help to prevent and manage back pain during pregnancy when anti-inflammatory medication is not an option.
The Pelvic Clock exercise program helps women in the following ways:
- Strengthens deep core muscles to support the growing weight
- Improves Sacroiliac alignment
- Increases pelvic muscle control
- Improves pelvic stability
If your most painful spot is located at the 7 o’clock marker, stretch your right leg and slide it a few inches toward the 7 o’clock marker (a forward-right tilt) then lean back toward 1 o’clock (a back-left tilt).
If your most painful spot is located at the 5 o'clock marker, stretch your left leg and slide it a few inches toward the 5 o'clock marker (a forward-left tilt) then lean back toward 11 o'clock (a back-right tilt).
V-Tilts: Rock forward and back following 6-1-6-11 pattern.
6-1 Tilt forward toward the 6 o’clock marker, then lean back toward 1 o’clock (a back-left tilt).
6-11 Tilt forward toward the 6 o'clock marker, then lean back toward 11 o'clock (a back-right tilt).
Consult your physician or healthcare provider before performing any exercise program using this product for appropriate exercise advice and safety precautions. This product and its instructions are not intended to replace the advice and guidance of your physician or healthcare provider.
Exercises using this product should be performed in a slow and controlled manner. If you have trouble breathing or otherwise feel sick while using this product, stop and contact your physician or healthcare provider.
Be sure to read and follow the instructions as provided. Use only as intended and at your own risk. The manufacturer, Flect LLC, and its distributors assume no liability or responsibility for accidents or injury to persons or property that might result from the use of this product.
Do not use in areas of skin irritation. Stop using product if bruising occurs.
This product is not a toy. Keep out of reach of children and pets.
You may clean this product with mild soap and water. Dry with a cloth and store in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.